18/02/2010

Weatherson Thanks Club And Fans

Morton striker Peter Weatherson has thanked the club and fans for sticking by him throughout some difficult times in his seven year spell at the club. And he has stated that it was this loyalty that encouraged him to ignore Partick Thistle's contract offer and sign a new two year deal at Cappielow.

"The club and supporters have also stuck by me through a lot of bad times, a lot of barren spells," Peter explained to the Scotsman's Ewan Murray. "Things like that might be part and parcel of football but I want to thank the club for backing me, there is a lot of loyalty involved with me staying at Morton."

His new deal will take him up to the end of the 2011/12 season, at which time he will have spent nine years at the club. It is common practice to offer a player a testimonial after 10 years service, but Morton chairman Douglas Rae has promised Peter one on the completion of his new deal. "I am now in my seventh year here and the chairman has promised me a testimonial at the end of the contract. That is a big thing for anyone."

The Englishman has already scored 95 goals in his Ton career, and all things going well, he will surely pass the century mark. A landmark that he could well reach later this season. This would put Peter in a select group that includes the likes of Andy Ritchie, Allan McGraw and Rowan Alexander. I for one would not grudge a player with that kind of record a testimonial one year early.

Scotsman - Peter Weatherson Sees Greenock As Home (23.01.2010)

No comments: