05/03/2009

Mark McLaughlin: Morton Made Me Hate Football

Greenock-born Hamilton Accies defender Mark McLaughlin has revealed that his time as a youth at Morton made him quit the game.

In the preview for the Hamilton v Hibs SPL encounter McLaughlin (pictured, above left: marking Ryan McGuffie last season) told the Sunday Mail's Scott mcdermott of his spell at Cappielow:

When I was at Morton only one person, Derek McInnes, encouraged me. I'd been at Cappielow from age 11 and left at 17. I could have gone full-time but as a YTS on £30 a week. So I got a job and was earning a few hundred a week. I had bills to pay and had bought a car. Morton still wanted me to come in and train but I'd have missed out on an hour's overtime. I wanted the club to cover that but they said no. Surely if they rated me that highly they could have paid £15 a night? I ended up telling them to release me. I stopped playing football for a year and a half - I was fed up and hated it.

Then an Under-21 team, Port Glasgow Rangers, asked me to join. A lot of my pals played with them, persuaded me it was just a kick about and I'd enjoy it. They were right - I started to love football again. Then I got a move to Arthurlie.



Sunday Mail - SPL Preview: Hamilton v Hibs (01.03.2009)

No comments: