02/07/2009

Morton Take On Slovakian Champions

Morton will face Slovakian champions SK Slovan Bratislava in a friendly in Austria tonight.

The match - one of two to be played as part of our pre-season training camp in Obertraun - was revealed at the bottom of a small snippet on the back page of yesterday's Greenock Telegraph and has been confirmed on Slovan Bratislava's official website today.

When I read who we were playing I was quite impressed we are playing against a team of that calibre. I imagined the two matches would've been against Austrian lower league teams.

As well as supporting Morton I also follow Aston Villa as my second team and I actually remember Villa playing Slovan in the UEFA Cup in 1993/94. The match was played over two legs and Villa drew 0-0 in Bratislava and won 2-1 at Villa Park. I wasn't at the match but have the programme from the second leg (pictured, below) although I don't remember how I got it.



I had a look at their squad on wikipedia but I don't recognise any of their players' names. However, most of them have some sort of international experience so this should be a testing start to pre-season for the Ton.

slovanfutbol.com - Slovanisti dnes v prípravnom zápase proti Greenock Morton (02.07.2009)

No comments: