03/03/2008

Douglas Rae Apologises To The Fans

Morton chairman Douglas Rae has apologised to Morton fans for comments he made about them in his press release about Jim McInally's resignation last month.
Rae hinted that the fans at Cappielow were to blame for our poor home record this season by comparing our home and away records and connecting that to his own opinion that the away fans are more supportive than the home fans. He said: "It is interesting to note, when examining our performances, that we have won 15 points from away fixtures, the third highest in the league, while at home we have gained the fewest points, only 9 out of a possible 36, this suggests our players appear to have suffered more from the criticism level at home games than when playing in front of our more supportive travelling fan base."

However in his column in Saturday's programme for the Stirling Albion match he apologised for those earlier comments. He said: "I would like to apologise unreservedly to the supporters that I offended when I compared the 'away' support with the 'home' support which I suggested was more critical vocally in us earning fewer points at home than away."

He goes on to say that he should, in fact, have aimed his comments at a 'small minority' rather than the home support as a whole. He finishes by asking everyone to pull together and makes a promise to the fans: "Assuming that you forgive me I will ensure that I choose my words more carefully in future!! Honestly!".

Read the full piece by clicking on the images below.






No comments: