25/09/2008

Gowzer Frustrated At Parkhead

In an article in today's Scottish Sun Paul McGowan - the Celtic striker who spent a very successful year on loan at Morton during season 2006/07 - has told of his frustration at his lack of first team football at Parkhead.

McGowan told The Sun's Paul Hughes: “It’s frustrating because all I want to do is play first-team football. I thought I did well during the summer but now I’ve gone back to reserve football and I’ve got to just accept that. It’s hard though because a couple of years ago I was playing with Morton and I was scoring goals in the first team every week. All I can do is keep scoring goals and hope the manager notices me but I’ve got to be realistic."

I know his loan spell ended over a year ago but I still believe there's a chance he'll end up at Cappielow. Douglas Rae seemed determined to secure his signature and made a couple of substantial bids that were rejected by Celtic. In his programme notes the following week Rae said that he would wait until McGowan's contract expired and then bring him to Cappielow. I also spoke to McGowan at the supporter's title party in the Sports Centre after the last game of the season and he said he really hoped Celtic would let him join Morton.

One of the major stumbling blocks could be that his stock has risen in the time between his loan spell ending and the present day. It would be more than likely that we would face stiff opposition for his signature. However, I cling to the hope that the fact he enjoyed his time at Morton could swing it in our favour as he's exactly the type of player we need right now.

In his season with Morton Paul's record in all competitions was: 43 starts, 1 substitute appearance, 16 goals. He was nominated for the 2006/07 SPFA 2nd Division Player of the Year.

The Scottish Sun - Mac hates being held in reserve (24.09.2008)

Paul McGowan profile

No comments: