28/04/2009

Sean O'Connor To Retire

Queen Of The South have announced that former Morton loanee Sean O'Connor will retire from football at the end of the season.

The striker - who will only turn 28 this summer - has been advised to retire due to a serious knee injury. This is a sad end to a career that never really reached the heights it could due to O'Connor being quite injury prone. One particular injury that will stick in the mind of most Ton fans was when Colin Reilly's horror tackle left him in a crumpled heap in the last minute of a Challenge Cup tie against us at Palmerston in 2002/03. Talking about the tackle Sean told qos.co.uk : "It was my worst moment in football. The pain was excruciating and I actually thought it was the end of my football career."

I always quite liked O'Connor (pictured, above left: celebrating with Scott Miller and below: playing against Berwick) and vividly remember singing "Heeyyyy Sean O'Connor, ohhh, aahhhh, I wanna knooooww if you'll score a goal" in Babylon one night after he'd scored a double in a 4-1 win away to Stranraer. Hopefully he makes a success of whatever he does after he retires.



O'Connor scored 9 goals in 23 starts and 1 sub appearance for Morton in his time on loan from Dundee United.

qosfc.com - Sean O'Connor To 'Hang Up His Boots' (28.04.2009)

qosvideos.co.uk - The Night I Thought My Career Was Over

No comments: