03/08/2009

Hawke Completes Iron Man Challenge For Charity

Yesterday former Morton striker Warren Hawke embarked on a gruelling Iron Man challenge in Antwerp, Beligum to raise money for cancer charity Maggie's Centres.

The Marc Herremans Classic, or Iron Man 70.3, is made up of a 1.2 mile open water swim followed by a 56 mile cycle and a 13.1 mile run to the finish.

According to Richard Winton's article in the 31st July edition of The Herald Warren's main motivation comes from the fact that his father-in-law is living with cancer. The Englishman has set a target of £2000 and states that he thought it was unfair to ask people to part with donations for events that he believes weren't difficult enough for a former professional sportsman: "Over the years I'm sure you may be aware that I have completed various events such as marathons, 1/2 marathons and short Triathlons. I always had a passion for raising money but felt these events were not enough of a challenge to ensure you would part with your precious recession cash!"

However, the Iron Man 70.3 represents a different challenge all together, he said: "It's going to be difficult, probably the most difficult thing I've done and I sometimes think would it really be that bad to have a bulge? But I know I've got to do it for the charity, despite the fact I feel pretty rotten. The swim and cycling will be fine but I'll just have to drag my arse around the 13 miles of the run."



Warren (pictured, above left: training for the event and directly above: at Morton) has currently raised £1,195 and you can help him reach his target by donating on his own Just Giving webpage: http://www.justgiving.com/warrenhawke/

gmfc.net - Morton's Own Iron Man (09.07.2009)


The Herald - Former Morton Hero Aiming To Be An Iron Man (31.07.2009)

scottishfootballleague.com - Iron Man Hawke Looks For Support (12.07.2009)

No comments: