30/12/2009

Cuthbert And Jenkins Aim For Celtic Tie

Injured Morton stars Allan Jenkins (pictured) and Kevin Cuthbert are on the mend and both are aiming to be fit for the Scottish cup tie against Celtic on the 9th of January.

Cuthbert has been out for around three months with a broken foot. He hasn't made an apperance for the first team this season and although he mentions the Celtic game as something to aim for, he remains realistic about his chances of playing. "I've been delayed by that [the weather]. It's not easy. I hope to be involved again by the start of the new year," he tells the Greenock Telegraph. "I haven't targeted a game, but maybe round about the Celtic cup tie. I obviously need games, but it's not going to be easy."

Jenkins' absence has been a bit shorter, but no less important. The Morton midfield has lacked a bit of presence in the nine weeks without the dynamic midfielder. Fortunately, Jenkins, like Cuthbert, hopes to be in contention for the Celtic game. "I was sitting watching the draw and when I saw Celtic coming out I could feel my knee getting a bit better," he joked in the Tele'. "I played against them when I was at Stranraer, in the cup, and at Gretna of course. Ideally I'd like to get as much of a game as I can before then. But if the boys beat Dundee and Ayr the best I can hope for is maybe to warm the bench."

Colin Stewart might have something to say about Cuthbert coming straight back into the team for the Celtic match, but there's no doubt a fit Cuthbert, and a fit Jenkins, would be a welcome boost in our battle to avoid relegation. The sooner we see them back in Morton colours the better.

Greenock Telegraph - Jenks Targets Ayr (16.12.2009)

Greenock Telegraph - Ton Keeper Is Inching Back To Full Fitness (23.12.2009)

No comments: