08/03/2010

Duffy Still Proud Of SPFA Award

Former Morton player Jim Duffy (pictured) is so proud of the 1984/85 SPFA Players' Player of the Year award that he won in his time at Cappielow that it is the only piece of football memorabilia he has on display in his home.

"I have very few things in my house on display that you would lead you to know I have a career in football, as I am not ostentatious but the Players' Player of the Year Award is," he told the SFL's league insider bulletin.

"When you consider the creative players, like David Cooper and Paul McStay, and the defenders that were around then, Willie Miller, Alex McLeish and big Roy [Aitken] at Celtic, it was the biggest surprise of my life to win it.

"Morton's Andy Ritchie had won the Football Writers' award six years earlier, but he had scored in the region of thirty goals that season and was an exceptionally gifted player. It just was a total surprise after the season we had been through."

The 49-year-old, who currently manages Brechin City, also explained why he thought his fellow pros voted for him. "They must have seen my commitment to the cause and the fact that I never gave up. That must have impressed them and I gave 100 per cent to Morton that season in every game and have adopted that approach to things since."

SFL League Insider (Issue 28) - Committed to the Cause (page 4)

No comments: