01/06/2008

John Simpson Wants To Fight At Cappielow

Next Friday local boxer John Simpson (pictured) takes on Paul Appleby in a defence of his British title in Glasgow's Kelvin Hall. If he wins he gets to keep the Lonsdale belt and could be set for a European title fight.

On page 72 of today's News Of The World Jim Black previews the fight with an article titled 'A Ton wait for Simmo'. The article begins: 'Morton fan John Simpson is desperate to make history by selling out Cappielow in Greenock's first ever world title fight.'

I'm not sure Simpson actually is a Morton fan (he's a Celtic fan from what I've heard) but he is quoted as saying: "I'd love to have a big fight in Greenock. That's always been my ambition and there are a couple of possible venues - including Cappielow. There is definitely a market, judging by the way the locals got behind the club two or three years ago to prevent Morton going out of business. I am sure I can rely on similar backing if we can make a fight at Cappielow happen and I don't see why not."



No comments: