Threave Rovers 0 - 9 Morton

Threave Rovers 0
Morton 9 - Wake (11, 37, 38) Russell (22), McAlister (45), Newby (52, 82) Paartalu (60), Masterton (86)

Att - 150 (at a guess)

Earlier tonight Morton dismantled a poor Threave Rovers side in what was no more than a fitness exercise.

Brian Wake picked up where he left off last season by drilling across the goalkeeper after an Iain Russell lay off to open the scoring in the 11th minute.

Russell doubled the lead in the 22nd minute when he raced onto an Allan McManus long ball to lob the Threave goalkeeper. Russell still concerns me though. His movement is good but his finishing is woeful at times. He really ought to have had about four goals but time and again he would fire one on ones right at their keeper. To make matters worse one of the times he did finish well he was flagged offside.

Wake scored his hat-trick with a quick fire double. In the 37th minute he 'toe b'd' (toe blast, toe punt, toe poke) a loose ball into the roof of the net after a scramble in the box and then rounded the keeper a minute later after he latched on to a fortunate Jim McAlister through ball.

Jim finished the first half scoring right on the stroke of half-time when he strode onto a ball squared across the box and drilled home a low left foot shot.

Morton started the second half with Jamie Stevenson on for Ryan McGuffie and Jon Newby on for Iain Russell. The former Liverpool youngster took seven minutes to open his Ton account when he swivelled inside the box and hooked a weak effort that had just enough on it to scrape past the home goalkeeper. He made it a brace in the 82nd minute with a six yard tap in after a Peter Weatherson shot was parried into his path.

Sandwiched in between Newby's double was the goal of the match came scored by Erik Paartalu. The giant Aussie unleashed a thunderous dipping volley that flew into the net.

The rout was completed in the 86th minute when Stevie Masterton curled a left footed shot past the Threave keeper.

On the new signings / trialists I thought:

Colin Stewart: Had nothing to do so couldn't be judged.
Chris 'Junior' Smith: ex-Rangers trialist played as the left sided centre-half and looked impressive. Strong, committed, good in the air and looked calm in possession.
Allan McManus: Very impressive. Looked solid at the back but maybe short of fitness and pace but read the game well and played a captain's role. Always encouraging and organising his team mates.
Stevie Masterton: Played some nice passes but looked for the 'cup final' pass too often. Set pieces were disappointing but scored a nice goal.
Jon Newby: Scored 2 goals and looked okay but didn't have enough time to be judged.
Adam Bradley: Goalkeeper trialist. Like Stewart had nothing to do.
No. 22: Came on as a sub in midfield but didn't have enough time to impress.

Just to add I thought Jamie Stevenson made a positive impact after coming off the bench. It would be nice to think that this talented player has put his troubles behind him and knuckled down in an effort to show what he can do next season.

Next up: Tow Law Town

Morton (3-5-2):

1. Stewart - 6 (20. Bradley - 53 mins)
2. Weatherson - 6
3. Trialist (Chris Smith) - 8
4. McManus (c) - 8
5. McGuffie - 6 (12. Stevenson - 46 mins - 7)
6. Paartalu - 8 (17. Kerrigan - 67 mins)
7. Finlayson - 6 (22. ? - 53 mins)
8. Masterton - 7
9. Wake - 8 (14. Graham - 53 mins)
10. Russell - 5 (15. Newby - 46 mins - 7)
11. McAlister - 7 (16. Mitchell - 67 mins)

Subs Not Used:

1st Half

Weatherson McManus Smith
Finlayson Masterton McGuffie Paartalu McAlister
Russell Wake

2nd Half

Weatherson McManus Smith
Mitchell Masterton Stevenson Trialist Kerrigan
Graham Newby


My man of the match: Erik Paartalu

Sponsor's man of the match:

Matchday Programme (Click to enlarge)

None for sale.

Greenock Telegraph match report: http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/articles/2/25982


bryan said...

i heard on the webcast number 22 was called Nicolson i think

Jonathan Mitchell said...

I'm hearing a similar name Bryan, cheers.