11/04/2008

7 Points Needed To Avoid The Play-Offs

Davie Irons (pictured) believes that we need at least seven points to avoid finishing 9th and playing in the play-offs.

Irons told the Greenock Telegraph's Roger Graham - who, in his match preview, also said he thinks we need seven points - that the first of the seven points must come against St. Johnstone tomorrow: “We have to win. That’s the situation we’re in. I think the minimum we need [to avoid remaining in the second bottom relegation play-off place] is seven points, and even that might not be enough.”

The Ton manager also hinted that there wouldn't be many changes to the team that lost at home to Dundee last week: “I don’t see us changing too much at all. We’ll maybe tinker with the system, but the bottom line is we have to score one more goal than St Johnstone.”

Clyde are 3 points ahead of us and face already relegated Stirling Albion at Broadwood on the last day of the season. On that basis I think both Roger Graham and Davie Irons are right in saying we need seven points - but I don't think we'll get them.

Our last three fixtures are: St. Johnstone (a), Dunfermline (h), Partick Thistle (a). I can see us picking up five points - a draw tomorrow and at home to Dunfermline and a win on the last day of the season. I just hope I'm wrong.


No comments: