30/10/2007

Gordon Ramsay Still Interested In Buying A Scottish Club

A Sunday Mail article has quoted celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay as saying: "I want to invest in a team...to turn it around and take it into the Premier League." The article also goes on to say that Ramsay has indicated that he would like to return to Port Glasgow "sooner rather than later." fuelling rumours that he is still interested in buying Morton.

This story first appeared in a Sunday newspaper in September 2005. At that time a BBC Sport report quoted the foul mouthed ex-Rangers player as saying:

I have been keeping an eye out for the right kind of club to invest in and it will definitely be a side from north of the border, Morton would be my first choice because my dad, Gordon, was a supporter and we have strong family ties in the Greenock area. I have been speaking to David Murray about this over the last couple of years and, if anyone knows how to run a football club, it is him. I have had a look at several First, Second and Third Division clubs from Scotland and I think it would be a great idea. Morton are a team I was recommended to go to after I was released by Rangers as a youngster, so I have a soft spot for the club. Some people might think that buying into a football club is a sure-fire way to lose your money fast. But it needn't be that way at all.
At the time Douglas Rae was quick to state that the club was not for sale and in a post on http://www.gmfc.net/ he said: "In the past year, I have had two enquiries, both via solicitors.
"On both occasions, I rebutted their interest - even at the suggested price of something over £2m. I love Morton too much to think of selling."

An interesting footnote to this story is that in one of only two appearances as a Rangers player Ramsay came on as a substitute against Morton at Cappielow. He played 10 minutes of the match.


An Observer article on Ramsay's short football career: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,708139,00.html



No comments: