09/10/2008

Shafted

Former St.Mirren and Hibs defender Alan Reid has accused Davie Irons of shafting him after the under fire Morton manager promised him a contract but failed to deliver.

Reid - who spent a month on loan at Morton in the 2001-02 season and who has made two appearances as a trialist this season - told The Scottish Sun's Paul Hughes that Irons told him that there was a deal there for him as soon as he moved a couple of players on. As it happened Irons managed to send Jon Newby out on loan but signed Dominic Shimmin and Chris Smith leaving Reid in limbo.

Reid said: "My agent and I met with the club and Davie Irons assured me a deal was there for me. All he had to do was get a couple of players out the door, which I believe he did. Once that happened though, the club just seemed to be ignoring my calls. I was left hanging on. Eventually they signed the boy Dominic Shimmin.

"I turned up for training everyday trying to be professional, but two weeks ago I decided enough was enough. I was shafted over the whole thing. There's really no better term for it.

"I turned down a few offers during the summer because I knew Morton were interested. Unfortunately it dragged on so long it meant I missed the boat with other clubs."

To read the full article (which appeared on Saturday 04.10.2008) click on the images below.





Alan Reid profile

No comments: