20/05/2010

Jim Joins Accies

Long serving Morton winger Jim McAlister has today signed for Hamilton Accies.

The 24-year-old, who spent eight seasons at Cappielow, signs for the SPL side on a Bosman after his 2-and-a-half year deal, signed in December 2007, expired on the 15th of this month.

Last season, I interviewed Jim for the Morton programme and he told me that he hadn't yet decided where he would be playing his football next season but that he had a message for the Morton support in case he did move on. “I’d like to thank the fans," he said. "They have been wonderful with me and seemed to take to me from the start - that was a huge confidence boost for a young boy. I couldn’t appreciate their support any more than I do.”

Jim has always been one of my favourite Ton players going back to watching him in a reserve game against Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill in 2003/04. He was absolutely outstanding that night and anyone there could tell that this boy had a big future in the game. Rovers manager of the time, Peter Hetherston, was one such person and after the match he went out of his way to tell Douglas Rae that he had a "great wee player in the number 11" and that he should hold onto him.



Well we did, for seven more years, but the time was probably right for him to move on to new things.

All the best, Jim!

acciesfc.co.uk - McAlister Signs (20.05.2010)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am delighted for Jimbo. He has been needing a fresh start for several seasons, and I believe that his undoubted talent will finally be used productively.

Just a shame that the Club did not make a brass farthing.

The Club is good at that sort of thing!