Morton Under-19s 2 - 4 Alloa Under-19s

Morton Under-19s 2
Alloa Athletic Under-19s 4

12pm kick-off
Sunday 25th January
Battery Park

by Chris Silver

Two first half penalties meant Morton were always playing catch up in this one and also ensured Alloa’s counter attacking style would play a major part in the game.

Both teams started slowly but the game burst into life when the 1st spot kick was awarded . A clumsy tackle on the Alloa left winger - who would prove to be quite adept at falling inside the area - saw the referee point to the spot. The spot kick was duly dispatched with the Morton keeper diving the wrong way.

The restart saw Morton take the game to Alloa and we were unlucky not to equalise. Darren McGeough (pictured, above left) - who had returned to the team after a 2 week absence - was proving a menace with some well taken corners kicks; one of which was met by Lee Mitchell but his header went just over the bar .

Several other half chances were also created but Alloa’s backline stood firm. At the other end all of the Ton’s pressure was undone when the referee awarded a second penalty to Alloa. It was a carbon copy of the first ‘offence’ - I have to say that this boy had been educated in the John McDonald Skill School. Again the goalkeeper was left stranded by the resulting spot kick.

Morton got a goal back before half-time with a well taken shot by our number 9 (this lad has come into the team in the last 3 or 4 games and while he still doesn’t look the fittest there is no denying the boy's touch or the quality of his hold up play).

Now we were really pushing for the second goal. However, it was Alloa who increased their lead when a fantastic cross from the aforementioned left-winger was met by their striker at the back post. The Wasps had re-established their 2 goal cushion.

The second half started in rather squally conditions and the onus was on the Ton to get back on level terms. Almost immediately we were back on the attack and some rather shaky handling by the Alloa keeper encouraged the Ton’s rampaging Kenneth MacKay.

A decent ball from the midfield was headed on by MacKay and with the goalkeeper rooted to the spot our number 9 bagged his second of the afternoon.

Alloa had the odd foray forward and one attack ended with the Morton keeper producing a magnificent save to keep his side in the game - but this only delayed Alloa increasing their lead. We were exposed down the right flank and Alloa’s left winger produced another pin point cross which resulted in their fourth and final goal of the rain soaked afternoon (i
t was a challenge for the spectators so the players deserve abit of credit for trying to keep this game going as a spectacle).

Morton Under-19s Results - Season 2008/09

1 comment:

Mortonjag said...

Thanks to Chris for keeping us up to date with our 'minors'.

Seems a wee bit sad that we can't beat Alloa mind you.