28/01/2009

Newby's Loan To End On Saturday

On Monday night I was watching Burton Albion v Barrow on Setanta Sports (incidentally, ex-Morton striker Jason Walker scored a belter for Barrow - his 15th of the season including one against Middlesbrough) and noticed Jon Newby wasn't in the starting eleven or on the bench. I wondered if maybe his loan deal had actually ended on the 31st of December but Burton didn't want to extend it as Morton had hoped - Derek Collins had said: “It’s something ongoing. He [Newby] is keen to stay down there and we are moving towards that situation.”.

I decided to check their website to see what was going on. There were no recent news items on Newby (pictured, above left: in his Burton profile picture) but I did notice that he has started one match and made two substitute appearances for Burton since the 31st of December. With Morton's official website posting nothing - as usual - I decided to email Burton Albion last night. As soon as I opened my emails today I had a reply from the Blue Square Premier side's secretary Rosie Marshall (something Morton could learn from considering I sent an email on the 14th of December and still haven't received a reply), she said: "Jon Newby's loan was extended to 31 January 2009 and is under consideration regarding the rest of the season."

So Jon's loan ends this Saturday and Burton have not decided whether to sign him until the end of the season or not.

No comments: